Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Homemade Applesauce

My sister, Alisha, was a gem and sent home some apples with me.  
They (2 of my sisters, my parents, and my youngest son)  went to
 Sunrise Orchards in Gays Mills, Wisconsin awhile back. 

There were about 8 apples the kids hadn't eaten yet, so I thought I would try making applesauce.  I've never made applesauce before, so this was a first.  I searched around for instructions and I came up with a concoction that I thought would work for me.   Here is the recipe I used:


Homemade Applesauce

8 apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
2 cups water
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp sugar

Add all to a pot and bring to a boil.


Cover and let simmer about 20 minutes.
Mash or blend apples. ( I used my food processor) 

 

Add more sugar to taste, depending on personal preference or type of apples used.
I ended up adding about 4 more Tbsp to mine because the apples I had were pretty tart.

It turned out super yummo!!!  Next time I think I will cut in 1/2 or omit the nutmeg though.  It's not bad, just not my personal preference.   I can't wait to get more apples!  I want to try canning some.  We all love applesauce and my youngest told me it was way better than the stuff I bought at the store!
Whew, I passed!

Earlier this summer, I had found an older Pampered Chef apple peeler, corer, slicer tool on a rummage sale.  It was only $2 I think.  I'm glad I picked it up.  It worked perfect!


If I had a bunch of apples to do, I would do this outside though.  Messy.....

Anyway, today's experiment was a success! 
 If my garden turns out next summer, hopefully I can post a lot more successes!!  

My 8 apples yielded about 4 cups of applesauce.  
The 3rd jar is smaller and not as full because, well, it tasted so good!

Until Next Time,

Jen the CraftinCowgirl









3 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Perfect for a breezy autumn day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it was so warm and yummy :o) It made the house smell great, too!

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious! We love homemade applesauce.

    :)Vicki

    ReplyDelete