Monday, October 8, 2012

Broken Oven, Crockpot Baking, and Egg Basket

I had a little oven mishap awhile back....


I know you are all very jealous of my pink kitchen tile!

The metal side piece on the left wouldn't stay put and it would keep popping out like it is in the picture.  Sooooo, one day I decided I would just pull it off and solve my problem.  I grabbed, pulled, and twisted.  That resulted in shattered oven glass everywhere!  It completely exploded.  I still find a small piece here and there and everywhere.  Needless to say, my oven isn't quite working up to par.  I've tried a couple of pizzas, but one wouldn't get done enough and one was way too done.  There is pretty much no heat regulation.

I've been trying to come up with some crock pot meals until I can find a new oven.  I was wondering about baking in my slow cooker and found a recipe for Slow Cooker Banana Bread today.  I mixed it up, turned it on low, and will let you know what it turns out like in 4 hours.  It smells and looks good as of now!


I will post the recipe for you after I see taste the results.

I did find a good money saving recipe for DIY Instant Oatmeal Packets.  I never really bought these much anyway, since they are not very cost worthy, but these are sooo easy to make!  If you do buy those instant packets, this will save you tons of money!!

DIY Oatmeal Packets

1/2 cup quick oats (1/4 c for little kid size)
2 Tbsp brown sugar (1 Tbsp for little kid size)

Put in a Ziploc bag and store until ready to use.

To cook, add 3/4 to 1 cup water or milk. (1/2 c for little kid size)
*Microwave for about 2 minutes (1 minute/kid size)
or
*Add hot water/milk, cover and let steam for 5 minutes.


Super quick, inexpensive, and easy!  I made a packet this morning for my 4 year old.  It passed his taste bud test.  I'm sure you could add whatever other ingredients you like in your oatmeal.  Cinnamon, apple bits, plain??  I suppose you could put some chocolate in it, too!
Here is the Pinterest link where I found this awesome idea:
DIY Instant Oatmeal Packets

One more thing I want to share:


That is the cute basket I found at a thrift store to keep my eggs in.
The basket I have my jars in is an old milk bottle carrier I found at a rummage sale here in town.  The old man selling it told me he used to carry his milk bottles in it.  He charged me all of $2.



Until next time,

Jen the CraftinCowgirl































































No comments:

Post a Comment