Monday, January 2, 2012

How I Made a Nest Necklace

I made my sister a nest necklace for Christmas. I couldn't post it before for obvious reasons. I also gave her a gift certificate for a massage and facial. Oooohhhh. I should have grabbed one for myself to make sure it would meet her expectations! I tried to dress up the plain jane envelope a little. 

I used my Cricut to cut out the reindeer and letters for her name in red cardstock.  I layered it with red and kraft cardstock.

I had seen a couple of nest necklace tutorials and thought it would be perfect for my little sis :o)  It was fun and simple.  I followed this necklace tutorial at Live.Laugh.Photograph.


 I used 20 gauge wire, beads, a necklace chain of choice, a jump ring, and wire cutters.



Start by  threading the number of beads you want in the nest.  I used three.  Make sure you bend the wire over a little after the last bead to hold them in place.  Then I just started turning the wire around the beads in a circle until my nest was as big as I wanted.  I cut the wire with about 6-8 inches left unwound around the nest and used it to wrap around the edge of the nest to hold it together in a nest form.  Then I attached a jump ring and the chain.  Done!



My sister loved it!
  I really need to start making at least two of everything I do so I have one for myself.


You can view the full tutorial HERE.




Thanks for stopping by today!
Jen :o)





















The 36th Avenue

4 comments:

  1. That's really cute! I love bird nest necklaces and have been wanting to try and make my own. Seeing your posts makes me want to try it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Nest necklace has always been on my to-do list. Yours turned out super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely adorable! I want to make one for myself! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on the nest pendant!

    ReplyDelete