Friday, December 9, 2011

DIY Tree Skirt

I finally finished the tree skirt I found on Pinterest that has been on my to do list.  We are going to the tree farm tomorrow to cut down our tree so I was down to the wire.  It only took me 4 hours and a gazillion glue sticks, but it was totally worth it!  I love it!!!  I just wish I could claim the credit for it.  Oh well, Pinterest is the best thing that's ever happened to me.  I lack in the originality department.  Although when I do use someone else's idea, I try to change it up a little.  Sometimes it's major, sometimes something subtle.  Just enough to make it my own. Here are the pictures and how I made it.


I started with a tree skirt I bought from Hobby Lobby a couple of years ago on clearance.  I was going to take the Santa and other things off, but I went the easy route and just flipped it over and used the backside.  I used burlap and muslin for my ruffles.


I cut the burlap and muslin into 3" strips.  I used 2 yards of each.

A little Pinterest fact I found (which might not be new info to you, but it was genius for me) was to pull one string in the burlap and it would leave you a perfect straight line to cut on.  WooHoo!@

Look, a straight line for me!


I started on the bottom edge and simply started gluing and ruffling.


First row done!


I started the second row with the burlap. 

The burlap was a little harder to pleat, so I added another row of hot glue just above the first row of muslin to help the pleats lay a little smoother.

After alternating the first 3 rows, I did two rows of burlap to change the pattern a little.  (Apparently my finger was protruding a little too far)  I continued with two more rows of muslin and filled the center in with the burlap to finish it off.
TaDa!!  Now all I need is the tree.  Hopefully it will get up to 30 degrees tomorrow so we don't freeze our hinnies off in the tree forest!


Thirty Hand Made Days

Photobucket
Tip Junkie handmade projects















3 comments:

  1. Love it! I need to make one of these before the 24th arrives :) Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the compliments!

    ReplyDelete