Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Tree Decorations

I hope everyone had a beautiful and family filled Christmas!  I know we did.  It has been the most relaxing Christmas we've had for a long time.  I didn't have time to post my "grown up" tree decorations I made before Christmas.  I made it a mission to make all my decorations for my tree this year and have a grown up tree that wasn't mismatched :o)  

I made some burlap, twine, denim, and muslin Christmas balls.  I also made the rustic tree topper and no sew tree skirt that I posted about earlier.  Finally, I made a jingle bell garland.  I will post the garland later.  First, the Christmas balls!




 First, I used some burlap I had left over from my tree skirt and different sized styrofoam balls. 



I started by hot gluing a 1" strip around the center of the ball.

I glued another strip on the opposite side.

I continued gluing the strips opposite of each other until the ball was covered completely.

I cut some twine to the length I wanted to hang it with and pinned it on the top of the ball.  I did use a small dab of hot glue under the pin for extra assurance.  :o)  I like glue!


TaDa!!  First Christmas ball complete.  My tree looks happier :o)

Next, I made a few twine balls.



I put a dab of hot glue, then attached the end of the twine with a straight pin.

Then simply start gluing and twisting it in a circle around itself.

Keep going......

When you get to the top, leave enough space to be able to attach the end of the twine.  Cut the twine to the length you would like to hang it with.


Attach the cut end of the twine on the little space left at the top.  I put a squirt of hot glue, then pressed the twine end down with a straight pin.
I thought I would try something different here.  I had some denim scraps and leftover muslin from my tree skirt.  I glued a denim seam, that I cut off a jean leg, around the center.  Then I cut 1" muslin squares.  I pinched the squares in the middle and glued them to the ball above and below the denim seam.

It didn't turn out quite like I had pictured, but still cute.


When I started this, I had no idea what it would turn out like.  To be honest, I'm not sure if I could make another one.  I started this kind of like the twine wrapped ball.  Obviously, the muslin doesn't wrap like the twine, so I wrapped it until I saw the styrofoam show through, then I folded the strip over itself to keep it going in the right direction.  I kept on doing this until I reached the other end, then attached a twine hanger.   It turned out super cute and might just be my favorite on the tree.  I hope I can duplicate it!

For this ball, I cut 1" squares of denim and made a tuft by pinching the center of the square.  I glued the little tufts all over the ball and attached a twine hanger.

I tried to make one out of denim strips, just like the burlap strips.  It turned out cute, too!  I left the bottom seam on the jean strips and had them ending at the top.

I also wrapped one in yarn.  :o) 



I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and is looking forward to a Happy New Year!



















The 36th Avenue

3 comments:

  1. I adore using burlap and twine. Super looking ornaments you made!

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that these are rustic yet SO pretty! Thanks so much for sharing them with us! Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love each of your ornaments, and hope your family is all well by now. Thanks for stopping by my blog and your sweet comment - I'm with you, I am going to try a small garden next year and see how it goes, maybe a container garden to start with. Ka-ching :)

    Mary

    ReplyDelete